Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Opotiki Fibre and Fleece

The Opotiki Fibre and Fleece show has been running alternate years for more than 20 years and I've never managed to get to see it until this year. On Saturday a friend and I drove to Opotiki (2 1/2 hours from my place), a pretty drive along the Bay of Plenty coast.

We did a little retail therapy.
 Merino sliver (100gm) from Awakeri Woolcraft.  It looks a bit washed out on this screen, the brown is a rich chocolate and the greens brighter.  Apparently it is becoming very difficult to get merino sliver here as manufacturing is being sent off shore to China.

The exhibition was amazingly well set out with lots of space for every creation.  Most 2 metre tables had just one or two pieces on them allowing you to really appreciate the work.

After lunch we set off for the Theatre where the fashion parade was being held.
I was really taken with the old buildings in this town (old by New Zealand standards), many of them dated 1912, 1914 and this 1926.  Many of our early buildings were built in timber, often kauri, and have not survived.
Images from previous years fashion parades taken through a window, we weren't allowed to take photos on the day.

Home about 7.00 to find DH cooking dinner.  The most fun day I've had in quite a while.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Dianne,
    Just found your blog. Not too many of us blog about weaving in NZ so thrilled to see yours.
    I like the echo weaving you have been doing. gorgeous. Will add you to my blog roll.
    Cheers, Doe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Doe. I enjoyed your interview with GrannyG and your recent book has been most useful. I've loaned it to a friend hoping it will inspire her to get her wheel out again.

    ReplyDelete