Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Opening of Spinning A Yarn

My friend, Caroline, and I had a wonderful day out on Sunday driving one and a half hours to Inspirit Gallery, Tamahere, Hamilton for the Opening of Spinning A Yarn.  We stopped at the Crazee Cow Cafe in Morrinsville for a quick lunch and coffee on the way and got to the Gallery just in time, i.e. politely late.  We mingled for a while until the speeches - just Jenny and myself.  I guess no one else would front for her as I keep telling Jenny I can't make speeches, I just read.  Do you want to hear what I said?

New Zealand - nature's miracle fibre.


The Wools of New Zealand website describes our wool as a sustainable natural fibre with outstanding beauty, performance, maintenance and well-being benefits.
Wool is natural and renewable.
NZ wool is grown in open pastureland following sustainable land use.  Every year sheep grow a new fleece.  Wool products use less energy than manmade fibres during manufacture.
Wool has natural insulating properties.  The crimp structure of the wool traps millions of tiny pockets of air which create a barrier preventing heat loss.
Wools unique structure repels liquid but allows it to absorb and release water vapour into the atmosphere keeping you warm in winter and cool in summer.
Wool has a natural ability to shrug off dirt and spring back into shape after crushing or stretching ensuring long lasting beauty.
Wool is versatile.  It can be made into strong carpet or a tiny merino cap for a new born baby,  NZ scientists have figured a way to attach nano gold particles to wool for the finest shawl and it can be used to soak up oil from shipping disasters.  Whatever its use its a joy to work with.
Jenny's talk reminded me of a trip last year, standing in a queue at Fumicino airport outside Rome  listening to a loud male voice going on and on about everything when suddenly I heard him say Italy made the best merino yarn in the world.  I was about to go up to tell him that the merino clip actually came from New Zealand when we got the call to board.
Enjoy the beauty of this exhibition honouring the New Zealand wool clip - the best in the world.


After this there was a small fashion parade which was just enough to make the event.


As usual I forgot to take photos.  Most of my pieces reflected the tui but I also had quite a bit of weaving throughout the gallery which wasn't actually in the exhibition.  This piece sold.
 My friend, Agnes Hauptli, from the far north of New Zealand was another of the contributing exhibitors.  Here are four of her pieces woven in silk, silk and merino depicting NZ waterways and the taupe scarf in the middle reflects the Desert Road.  The brown shawl on the right is made from the newest natural fibre in the world, cervelt which is harvested from the chest of the NZ red deer.  Each deer produces only 20gm of fibre so a very precious thread and I think I'm correct in say the NZ harvest goes to Italy to be spun and woven into high end garments.
There are about 12 contributing artists so lots to.  The exhibition is on until 10 July so if you are going to the Cambridge Spinners and Weavers exhibition make a day of it and visit Inspirit as well (phone first).

1 comment:

  1. You piece looks fantastic - Congratulations on the sale, but if I were you I would be a little sad to see that one go.

    ReplyDelete