Saturday, May 17, 2014

Scarves for men

I've been asked by Inspirit Gallery to design a series of scarves for men in time for Field Days, the biggest agricultural show in New Zealand.  I keep having this vision of a farmer pulling on his "black with two red stripes at the cuff" gumboots at 4 in the morning and saying, Now just where is my Dianne Dudfield designer scarf. 

At the same time as Field Days Inspirit is featuring an exhibition on conservation so I'll incorporate some possum/merino/silk thread into my scarves since possums are one of the biggest threats to our native forests and birds - wear a possum, save a tree.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Dianne
    I tried to make some scarves for men recently - mostly charcoal 2/24 wool used double with a few randomish red stripes, all in classic herringbone, used the red yarn for weft and also blue, silver, camel and black and fringed the ends rather than a twisted fringe. The handle is great and I'd be happy to wear all of them except the camel one (I never wear camel). I decided that there are probably women's scarves and unisex scarves, it's hard to design something just for men. The ones with the red and black wefts would however co-ordinate well with the gumboots. Pictures here: http://portiascloth.blogspot.com.au/
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Helen, Did I meet you at Catharine Ellis's workshop in Ballarat? I had decided that my scarves would probably be unisex as I'm incapable of weaving metres and metres of plain boring fabric. I'm trying various colourways in shadow weave and find it a fun structure to play with. Your placemats look superb. Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dianne
    Yes we did meet at Catherine's workshop in Ballarat. Woven shibori is still in my to do list but one day I guess I'll get around to it
    Helen

    ReplyDelete