Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Back in the day ...

Way back in the day when manufacturing happened in country and didn't happen off shore when I was a machine knitter before discovering weaving there was a knitwear manufacturer called Glengyle who had a sale of there surplus yarn once a year.  A lot of angora, from the rabbit that is, and I don't recall what else.

The first year I went with my son in his push chair, which makes it about 38 years ago, and was rather knocked sideways by these women on the mission of shopping for as much yarn as they could gather.  By the second year I had it sussed.  Son in care, paper clean sacs in hand and when the doors opened the game was to get as much yarn in the clean sacs as possible then go find a quiet corner and sort out what you wanted and discarded what you wouldn't use.  Oh I miss those times!

Anyway cones of this yarn have been boxed up and shifted from home to home and more has been added from sales and donations until recently I thought if I don't use it it should be dumped.  How could I dump it when it has been so loyal providing me with dreams of creation and coloured rainbows?  So ...


it has now become the softest yummiest blankets.
"Coast"  white wool warp and angora weft.
You would think that would make a dent in the "stash" but no, plenty left for more blankets.

2 comments:

  1. OMG! , you may dump it my way if you wish- swish, She is gorgeous , I think I just discovered you are the designer of my lovely cape I brought from Pauanesia, so nice to have stumbled across your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I'm ready to part with it I'll let you know. Hope you're enjoying your cape.

    ReplyDelete