Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Finally weaving

The good news is that all the oil that can be removed is off the Rena, container ship that ran aground off Tauranga Harbour, and any left will be "mopped up manually".  I do hope the mopping happens on board and not on the beaches.  Container removal starts today but with over 1300 containers and only 6 being removed per day it will take a while.  The spine of the Rena is broken so the fear is a storm could turn the whole situation to custard.

I finally got to sit at my loom last week and produced 5 metres of fabric which I'm calling wisteria.  This was the culmination of all the sampling I did during the winter of interleaved and echo warps.  I really can't say it is echo as I broke all the rules (as usual).  The warp had been wound with one thread wool and the second thread has some fibre which didn't take the dye (acrylic probably as I gave it the bleach test) so it was an echo of the main thread.  Unfortunately the threads had stuck together slightly so I had to stand and separate all 520 6 metre long threads before winding them on.  Wool is questionable to use for echo weave anyway but because it was now slightly fluffy it couldn't be sett as close as it should have been.  I did cut off a sample and wash it vigorously before preceding.  Putting all the elements together- the painted warp, echo weave threading, the warp sett I'm very pleased with the result though it is yet to be fulled.
In the evenings I've been knitting a jumper for Jack who, we've found out, is allergic to wool and acrylic.  Not what you want to hear when his GranD has a house full of wool.  Our last two days of holiday were a stop over in San Francisco and as luck would have it Arftibers was just around the corner from our hotel, not even a block away.  I had arrived in fibre heaven, there were bins and bins of thread and sample squares knitted of each variety and complete garments on display.  I shouted Jack (note how I shift the blame) some recycled denim thread.  Its rather soft to work with compared to other denim threads I've used.  Also some silk for myself.

And finally I just heard that Peter Gordon, London based master chef, bought my kereru blanket from Pauanesia (go to gallery) as a gift for himself.  I'm one proud cookie! 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Dianne,

    Thanks for your encouraging comments on my blog! I just saw your Pauanesia blankets - just lovely!!! Congratulations on the exciting sale and thanks for posting your Greek trip details - I love vicarious fiber travel.

    ReplyDelete